The League of Extraordinary Motoring Gentlemen

A refuge for politically incorrect outmoded ideas, quaint mechanical contraptions and dated fashion HOME OF THE MEN IN WHITE

Name:
Location: Quebec, Canada

Official Pre-War Registrar for the North American Singer Owners Club An active Singer car enthusiast, restorer and driver for over 34 years Member of NASOC, SOC and ASCO.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Old School Chums...


I was dead chuffed to get a missive on our esteemed blog from fellow LEMG member Major Farting-Greatly, another chum from the old days at boarding school. The lads of today are such girl's blouses. Regular beatings never did either of us any harm!

Another dear Motoring friend is Sir 'Skidmark' Boddington-Tayler, ( shown here) a member of my Gentlemen's club in Mayfair and a prime example of 'The Right Crowd'. His nickname comes not from his peculiar driving style, but more as a result of his poor personal hygiene at school, much to the detriment of his elastised underpants.

Mind you, when we were up at Oxford, 'Skidmark' cut a swathe through the ladies as well as the Geranium beds, such was his driving acumen. Silly blighter drove an MG, which might have explained his perchance for sliding amid the flowers, until he saw the light and purchased a bally good Singer car instead. Drew more birds after that too!

Whilst dining at my club with old B-T, I raised the nasty about that rotter Von Drips. 'Skidmark' was of the opinion I should have slapped old VD with my driving glove and demanded satisfaction...not one of those nancy modern string-back jobs, mind you, but a proper Englishman's full leather gauntlet, the kind a Gentleman wears.

I told 'Skids' that the bally blighter was a good sight taller than me and that I had my reading glasses on at the time, so he agreed that retiring to the Barbara Cartland room for a 'Ginnies' was probably the best course of action. "After all", SM pointed out, "He will always be foreign, you know!"

Bally Right!

Sir Nigel

1 Comments:

Blogger Singer Enthusiast said...

Man, I am WAY over my head if I think that I can even come clost to those who are either masters at this, or perhaps fell on their heads once too much when they were young.

The most that I can come up with is "boot" and "petrol". The odd time I will spell tire with a "y". I do say ZED instead of ZEE, but still pronounce zebra as zeebra.

I do not see how anyone can find the way I say "out and about" funny, and there is some hidden joy in adding the odd extra "u" in words loke colour and honour.

I guess that I will have to be content with my limited abilities with using this colonial dialect. One day I may have a stiff upper lip, but by then, it may be the only thing.

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home